Starting a Vegetable Garden – 5 Tips to Start a Vegetable Garden Successfully
Starting a vegetable garden can be a fun and rewarding experience. But if you’re new at it, starting a vegetable garden may seem daunting or complex. Well, there are indeed a few complexities involved with it but, in truth, starting a vegetable garden is ultimately pretty simple. You just need to know what you’re doing and have goals in mind for precisely what you wish to accomplish.
Let’s take a look at some of the keys to success with starting a vegetable garden.
- First, only choose to start a vegetable garden that will include vegetables you enjoy eating. This will ensure that you go at the project with the necessary attitude and enthusiasm. It will also mean that you don’t have to think of tending the garden as work. And, of course, you’ll get a good return on your investment when the produce starts hitting your dinner table.
- Prepare a sunny area by turning the soil, mulching, and composting. It’s important that you do indeed select a sun-drenched area as well as having the soil well prepared.
- Research how much space each variety of vegetable you’ll be growing will need. Then, you’ll know how much space you have for growing and you’ll ensure, too, that you don’t crowd out certain vegetables. If you find that you need more space, prepare it. If you don’t have it, you can always turn to starting a vegetable garden in containers. You may also find that you have to rethink some of the vegetables you intend to grow if your space is limited.
- Plant appropriate vegetables for the season (either cooler or hotter). For instance, for Spring or Autumn harvesting plant things like cabbage, potatoes, peas, and turnips. But for hotter Summer harvesting plant things like squash, cucumbers, and eggplant.
- Buy seeds from your local nursery if possible. Otherwise, you can go to your local garden or hardware store or order seeds online out of catalogs if you can’t find the selection you’re looking for locally. You want seeds that have been harvested from plants within the last year. The best time to order seeds online is January and February. You can always start the seeds right away indoors, then transplant them outdoors in early Spring.
You now have some of the fundamental basics down for starting a vegetable garden. For more information on gardening tips and strategies, just follow the link below.